Summer 2014: We got a call recently from a family in the Finger Lakes who are trying to put their lives back together after a fire devastated their home in the early days of summer. The fire started on the third floor of their gorgeous lakefront home and quickly spread to the lower floors while volunteer fire departments from several surrounding towns tried to extinguish the flames. The fire had a head start however so the family's home was damaged beyond repair. This gracious estate was once visited by Thomas Edison who, it is said, wired up some of his new electrical lights on a second floor balcony so visitors could enjoy an outdoor wedding at the turn of the last century. The house has fallen victim to the heavy rains we've experienced here in western New York this summer, so much of the woodwork has been badly damaged over the past few months but we are salvaging as much as we can.